Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Vintage Altered Book - with simple tutorial for Papier


Hi! I have always love books! Sometime, I would just walk in a book store and immersed myself with the sweet musky smell of books. Yes! I love the smell of books. Old books and that musty ink scent sure is the best, but the new ones and those 'fresh from the oven' smell is superb too!

So, in a way to celebrate my love on books ( hehehe ) for this week at Papier, I am sharing a vintage altered book with you. Further below is a simple and short tutorial. If you like the 'vintage'-look and don't mind getting your hands dirty, then head on to your crafting room and start on with this altered book project.

The tutorial:

Well, what I have used here is basically an old hard cover book, which I purchased from a local flea market. I bought this for RM5. Not bad. You will need to rip-off all those pages out from its cover.

Glue together at least 5 or 6 pages. This really depends on your needs.

This was how raw it looked before I started to work on it (below). The edges have been partly distressed with Ranger ink. I have used Vintage Photo here.

Next, create. You can start with distressing the edges of each glued pages.
You can use scraps from your stash to create a journalling tag or use naked pockets with tags, and paste it onto these pages, like the one below.

Don't forget to punch onto these pages and use Tim Holtz ring binder to secure these pages together. This ring binder is then secured to the spine of the book with brads; refer below. You can get this ring binder at Papier ;)))

You can see above how I have applied Inka Gold by Viva Decor to the edges of the book cover. I have also applied the same to the ring binder so that it matches perfectly to the whole scheme.

Well, I guess the rest is embellish the altered book as you wish. You can use laces to define the edge of each pages or even ribbons to tie around the ring binder.
If you want to view more of the pages, do stop by at Papier.
Below are the items that I've used in this altered book of mine for this week.

(I wanted to upload the back cover of the book as well here, but for some reason, when I took these photos, I have somehow forgotten about it! Lol! I'll try to upload later. ;))

Materials used:
Pp: Webster's Pages (Western Romance) and My Mind's Eye - from DT kit. Also used is DCWV.
Punches: Martha Stewart
Journalling tickets: Tim Holtz Ideology
Pen Nibs: Tim Holtz Ideology
Metal key: Tim Holtz Ideology
Game spinner: Tim Holtz Ideology
Tissue tape: Tim Holtz Ideology
Metal corners: Tim Holtz Ideology
Metal frame(front cover): American Crafts
Metal birdcage: Prima
Lace: DT kit ( edge of pages )
Lace on dress form chippie: Webster's Pages ( I think! Hehe )
Dress form chippie: Dusty Attic
Vintage trinkets: Prima
Gems (on cover): Parisian Anthology House of Three by Pink Paislee
Crystals: Prima
Swirling rhinestones w resin flower: DT kit
Stamp: Tim Holtz and Hero Arts
Stencil: The Crafter Workshop ( TCW )
Distress ink: Ranger
Seam binding ribbon: from a scrapper friend
Metal embellishment with bird: local shop, can't remember the name..hmm..
and Inka Gold by Viva Decor for the cover

Most of the manufacturer items listed above are available at Papier. Even if it is no longer on display, you can come in to the store and place an order ;)))

So, I do hope this altered book will be an inspiration for your next crafting project!

Nida

 

 

 

7 comments:

  1. Hi Nida. I LOVE THIS BOOK!!! I altered an old book too, this week. Aren't they fun to work with? OHH...soo gorgeous this one. Let's go junking together sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shahrul! Appreciate it! Yeah..why don't we....let's go junkie sometime....!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful project! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this book! Can't wait to try some of your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is so beautiful Nida, really love your altered book!
    Hugs, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a lot of openings for nurses who are new to the field offices in accordance with the Torah, if his horizons are limited to our state. Programs offered in the exchange is less popular than might be supposed. Languages: Excellent knowledge of local neonatal nurse practitioner flash cards banking business environment - Good knowledge of English.

    Review my web blog neonatalnurseschool.us

    ReplyDelete

Thank You For Your Lovely Comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...